Sunday, April 10, 2016

Week 2 Math + Art

This week, I was intrigued to learn that one of my least favorite subjects in life, mathematics, could actually be more than a frustrating path of numbers. Through professor Vesna’s lecture, it became evident that talks symmetry as can be observed through mathematical topics such as geometry and optics could help create something unique and creative to the eye. In Flatland, it became clear to me how much like last week’s two cultures and worlds come together, so can the different meanings in these two worlds come together and make a different meaning from the single picture and frame.. Such thinking was also very evident in "The Fourth Dimension and Non-Euclidean Geometry in Modern Art: Conclusion." Here, Linda Henderson talks about how math and science together and make a new form of artistic beauty to the scholar’s eye.
            Personally, the way that this week’s concepts impacted me was in opening my eyes into accepting a form of mathematics. I am an art admirer who wished to have such a skill of painting or sculpting. This reminded me of a TedxEd lecture of the close analysis of Van Goh.


This is a form of math that I can admire, and I think that this is a good resolution. I think that these concepts can be embraced and accepted for education for those students who may not be such lovers of math, but who do have an open artistic math. I think that by combining these, there could be a better learning turnout. At least, I have a strong believe that such occurrence could have had happened with me. By appreciating its beauty as observed in nature and technology  one would be more appreciative as one is to nature life. 



1 comment:

  1. I thought it was really cool that the lectures and readings this week gave you a different perspective on math. Similar to you, I had no idea that mathematics played such a huge role in art. After learning about the relationship between math and art, do you see yourself potentially using math more in the future? Do you think the studying of mathematics would improve your skills in painting or sculpting?

    ReplyDelete